The following determines which monsters show up in your zone:
- First, if any monster is 2 kills higher than any other monster, it will never show up.
- Second, the same monster will never show up twice in a row, unless that contradicts the first rule.
- If have all 3 milestones for all monsters, the first rule doesn't matter.
- If you visit another location in the meantime, the second rule doesn't matter.
There might be some more RNG massaging as you approach filling up the milestone meters. Anecdotally, I always get the monster I need to get the last milestone in a zone. EDIT: Yeah, this is true. With all milestones except one in Nox, I'm always getting brutes.
Example, in the forest:
| Killed | Encounterable | W | B | S | | 0 | 0 | 0 | W/B/S | 0 | 0 | 1 | W/B/S | 0 | 0 | 2 | W/B | 0 | 1 | 2 | W/B | 0 | 2 | 2 | W | 1 | 2 | 2 | W/B/S | 1 | 2 | 3 | W/B
Cut scenes which advance the plot seem to occur after a certain number of wins. These depend on the area, but typically occur after 3, 5, 6, 8 or 12 fights.
Bosses show up once you've gotten most of the milestones in a zone. Some (eg. Rafael, Which Witch) only show up with additional conditions. Weald shows up after an exact number of fights and prevent you from fighting other opponents in the zone, but other opponents will still swap out randomly if you lose or run away from the boss.
Special events happen every 2-3ish fights, if there is one available. There are several kinds of Special Events:
- One time only (typically occurs for the first Special Encounter you get in the zone. If you sell these items, you can't get them back.)
- Only if you need more (occurs if you no longer have the item given by the special event because you sold/used it)
- Only if you lost
- No conditions (always occurs)